Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Little Did I Know!

Question Shai - Loh --> Shiloh + direction, ie. come to/from

...Hyssop, can you bring some light to the NIV translation?

--> "Until he comes to whom it belongs" This translation seems to lean on "shai - loh", the interpretation "to whom tribute belongs" without naming the tribute. {to whom "it" belongs} Shiloh means tranquility when literally interpreted. Would that translate until "peace" comes as well? This is the theme of the coming of he who will reestablish the throne of David. Even Isa. 53 adds "peace" to its servants contributiion to Isaiah's people. {see Isa. 53: 5} Jeremiah gives "peace" to his "Branch" {Jer. 23: 5, 6} as well. Then so does Ezekiel. {Eze. 37: 26} Isaiah's righteous servant precedes the covenant of peace that follows in Isa. 54: 9. This would also ask us to believe that until "peace" comes shines some light upon this use of "Shiloh". {peace and tranquility for a king} There is plenty of room to play with in translating these couple of words.

....Michael

Hi, Thummim:

I don't have any additional comment on the NIV translation, other than it does not appear to me to be true to the Hebrew. "Until he comes" can be translated from the first three words: ahd key yavo. I can't see how one can get "to whom it belongs" from Shiloh.

No, I don't think that Shiloh can Hebraically be interpretted as "peace." But, hey, that's just my opinion and I'd be happy to hear why it should.
    hyssop

...Hyssop, isn't tranquility the by product of peace? If a king will reign whose reign is evidenced by a tranquilty, peace would be infered. "Anointed" and "tranquility" are different concepts. So Shiloh isn't best translated as "Messish". But the messiah may be infered.

...Well, just a few thoughts on the subject.

....Michael

Post Facing Life!

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my son spoke to me of death. May YAHWEH ELOHIM give to him the grace to live. Amen!

Messiah in answer to a question about life said,
    Matt 19:17-19
    17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, ELOHIM: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
    18 He saith unto him, Which? Yahushua said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
    19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (KJV)
    Speaking of this life, Messiah also said,
    Matt 7:13-14
    13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:
    14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it. (KJV)
    To my way of thinking, this last statement of Messiah is an understatement to say the least. The vast majority have died from Messiah to the present. Their tombstones are monuments to their failure. They claim to be kings of their earth, but the earth does rule over them (Genesis 6:3). They claim to have faith, but sin triumphs over them, and they are meekly swallowed by the earth or the sea in death.

Methinks that the way to life is to live. I know, it is not easy to believe and face life and live. What do you think?

Sincerely, Ab